Yeah, soooo I photographed this wedding in Hawaii. No biggie…..
I met Carolyn at a wedding expo in Canberra. I had recently returned from my first international destination wedding in Fiji, so when she told me that she was planning her wedding in Hawaii I knew that I (desperately!) wanted to be a part of it. Luckily we hit it off and Carolyn was open to the idea of taking me on this journey with them.
[ The biggest advantage of taking a photographer from your home town is that we are able to have in-person meetings for planning, we get to know each other in real life, payments are made in your own local currency and all post wedding product collections and album designs can be done easily. The cost of travel isn’t always as expensive as you may imagine and I always offer generous discounts for overseas weddings! ]
So, yeah, I was over the moon when Carolyn and Vic said that they wanted to book me in to photograph their wedding in Hawaii!!!
This wedding was epic for about 3000 reasons, but I’m going to list just a few (in no particular order of awesomeness)…..
- When Carolyn and Victor had their first kiss as husband and wife, the chemistry was so electric that it busted the straps right off her dress. I’m not even kidding! See for yourself!
- There was some crazy dancing, consistently, all day. Vic did the bend & snap on the balcony at Turtle Bay Resort, Carolyn was flossing in the bridal suite in her silk pyjamas, her Dad did a little spontaneous jig for the camera, the famous Dirty dancing run and lift made an appearance more than once on the dance floor as did the Cha Cha Slide. There was a Batgirl with a boombox and the bride did the robot. Oh, and what wedding wouldn’t be complete without Daryl’s Horses and a group sway-along?
- Vic got ready at Turtle Bay Resort. For a movie buff like me, that took my excitement to the next level. Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Lost, The Hunger Games have all been filmed here. I got to stay here for 5 nights and from my balcony I could see surfing dogs and a seal hanging out on the beach.
- Sunset Ranch was where the ceremony and reception took place. A private estate with lush gardens and ocean and mountain views, it was as green as green can get! The staff were incredible and everything was done to perfection.
- Carolyn and Vic have some super cool friends and family. Thank you to them for making me feel so comfortable and allowing me to capture some special moments for you too. After the rehearsal I got to hang out with the bridal party at Giovanni’s Shrimp Truck, did a lovely morning family portrait session on the beach with one of the bridesmaids and her family, a pregnancy reveal shoot at the Banyan Tree for Vic’s brother and a epic adventure session which included the Crouching Lion hike with the MOH and her partner.
- Getting to know Carolyn & Vic was honestly the best part. They are so loving and kind to each other. They are always smiling. Their energy just radiates and transfers on to those around them. As a wedding photographer I get a pretty good insight into how couples interact with each other and I wish all couples could have what these two do. I have so much appreciation for them for allowing me to be a part of the biggest day of their lives so far and, hey, it was in Hawaii so I’m going to love them forever.
- I have fallen in love with Hawaii! Who wouldn’t?! The North Shore of Oahu has my heart and I’m planning on going back with my hubby for our 10 year wedding anniversary next year.
Thank you times a million to this happy couple! I look forward to seeing their journey through married life and photographing more of their most precious moments in the years ahead.